Sunday, January 27, 2013

Seattle Skyline

This is one of those images I've wanted to paint for years now.  It's the view from the ferry looking at Seattle's skyline.  I finally was there with perfect light and color.  It wasn't foggy, the wind wasn't blowing 70 miles an hour, and the light was that energized light between day and dusk--perfect.  I spent a lot of time on this under-painting because the skyline should a.) look like the Seattle skyline and b.) be in perspective. 

As I've often said, I feel strongly that value is the most important element when it comes to emotional punch in a painting.  Working like this, in a monochrome underpainting, gives me a lot of visual information, which helps me know whether or not it is on track.

This piece has been a blast to paint, and I think that energy comes through to the final. I found myself at one point becoming very tight with the process, attempting to paint each window just right. At the time I was listening to an NPR podcast, which I enjoy, but it put my brain in a different mode. I switched to my music library, picked the top 25 songs I listen to, and pretty soon got some life back into the painting.

This is a triptych (3-panelled painting), and it's total outside dimensions are 36x48, oil on canvas. The images are in the order of final piece, then 3 versions of the underpainting in order.

Happy painting!
Dawn

P.S. If you are or know the owner of Ivar's seafood restaurant, give me a call. I think this piece might just belong over there.











No comments: