Friday, June 3, 2011

Storm King






New painting! 36"x60", oil on canvas.

This is from a hike I took a couple of weeks ago at Lake Crescent, one of the most amazing places I have ever been. It's the Washington State version of a fjord. The water is this weird blue; it has a lot of nitrogen which inhibits algae. The true depth of Lake Crescent has never been established; a glacial lake created by an ancient landslide/ dam. And truly magical.

This is Storm King Mountain (does every mountainous state have a peak named Storm King?) reflected on the water.

My biggest challenges in this piece had to do with the reflections on the water. There is a drama and still a subtlety to them that kept me on my toes.

Hope you have some great hikes and paintings going for you as we slowly roll towards summer!
Dawn

No comments: