Sunday, December 6, 2009

Bird, Reborn



Here's a new technique for you. I wanted to work on a different underpainting technique in response to my new environment; basically I wanted to start with less chroma in the underpainting and keep adding subtle color layers as I built up. In other words completely different than my usual underpainting which starts out technicolor and gets toned down with each layer. The result is this quiet introspective piece. I am very pleased because the emotion and atmosphere are exactly what I was reaching for.

To add to the newness of the technique I used a new-to-me product by Holbein. It's one of their foundation colors, a fast drying line of color they make just for underpainting. This one is Foundation Greenish. Holy crap--this stuff was made to paint the light effects of Washington State. (And, presumably, those of Japan as that is where Holbein is produced...)

I did not take pictures of the process--sorry! I will try to do so next time I employ this technique: I was just so excited by the results I plowed right through.

Title of this piece is "Bird, Reborn." If you look closely you will see a little bird sitting on one of the poles; it was a total accident of paint that made it appear, or, spiritually speaking, the bird wanted to be in the painting so it appeared. In any case, it made the piece. The bird is a very powerful image for me right now; the fact that the bird is reappearing as a living entity is a very good thing for me to see and actualize.

18x24" on archival panel

2 comments:

Mrs. Cooper said...

Gorgeous! I bet it's even better "in person". : )

dc said...

I love it Dawn, it's beautiful!!