Friday, November 21, 2008

The Marina at Stillwater



Hello there: here are a couple of pics from my new work titled "Stillwater." In retrospect as I title this blog posting, "Marina at Stillwater" would have been a better title, but so it goes. It's easier to keep the current name than to scrape the painting down in order to re-name it!

This is from my trip to Minnesota last summer; it was a very hot July day and the sky was an amazing shade of blue. My sister and I drove out to Stillwater just for kicks and I was quite taken by the St. Croix. I live in the desert--give me a decent body of water and I'm infatuated with it.

It felt good to paint in oils again. I've been doing a lot of drawing, pastels, and watercolor lately so it felt good to get back to my main medium. This painting is a little more raw than some of my other work. It is looser and has less layers than some. I attribute this to my work in watercolor lately (watercolors make you leave them alone unless you want a muddy painting.) This looseness works well with the emotions I have from this particular summer memory when my sister and I had nothing better to do but to sit by the water and watch boats go by. I may take another wild childish stab at oil painting again this weekend.

Paint on!
Dawn

No comments: