Saturday, May 24, 2008

Phase 3



So now we're starting to get somewhere! Here I'm starting to flesh out the rest of the painting. I'm still underpainting this image, trying to build it up layer by layer while constantly pushing the values where they need to go. This kind of image with all its linear structure is very intriguing to me; I like to lay down lines then make them disappear then find them again and so on. The final piece should show that back-and-forth, highlighting the process involved.

I started an encaustic painting of another old building in town--will post it when it is finished as well. I think it is safe to say I am on another series, this one using old buildings as subject matter. Will elaborate on the content in another post--back to the studio!

Dawn

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so cool! I love watching your pieces come together like this. Did you borrow some studio space somewhere? 'Cause this looks like a *huge* piece! Best of luck on it!
-Kath

Dawn Sagar said...

This is my studio space; I have it so I can move stuff around when I'm working on a big piece! Yea--thanks for checking it out!
Dawn